Academic Awards Competition Rules
Requirements for the Academic Achievement Award and the Academic Excellence Award:
- Complete at least one semester (12 credit hours) of college courses;
- Be a member of CO-AMP; and
- Complete the Colorado Alliance for Minority Participation Academic Achievement/Excellence Competition Application.
The Academic Achievement Award Winner will be determined as follows:
- Students must have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours of college courses including at least 3 credits in science, math, engineering and/or computer science.
- “CO-AMP GPA” will be calculated by allowing for extra point for courses in science, computer science/technology, engineering and math.
- CO-AMP GPA for the current term will be compared to the student’s previous full term CO-AMP GPA.
Example of GPA calculation (*credit for STEM course):
Reg. CO-AMP Letter Numeric Reg. Quality CO-AMP
Course Credit Credit Grade Grade Points Quality Points
Math 221 4 5* C+ 2.25 9.00 1.25
Comp 150 4 4 B 2.75 11.00 11.00
SW 123 3 3 B+ 3.25 9.75 9.75
Chem 150 5.5 6.5* B- 2.75 15.125 17.875
16.5 44.875 49.975
Regular GPA = Total Reg. Quality Points / Total Reg. Credits = 44.875/16.5 = 2.72
CO-AMP GPA =Total CO-AMP Quality Pts. / Total Reg. Credits = 49.975/16.5 = 3.02
Student(s) with the highest improved CO-AMP GPA will be awarded the Academic Achievement Award.
The Academic Excellence Award Winner will be determined as follows:
- Student’s Cumulative GPA must be 3.20 or higher.
- Student’s CO-AMP GPA will be calculated as stated above.
- Students with the highest CO-AMP GPA for the term will be awarded the Academic Excellence Award (determined by how many awards will be given out).
Click here for the Academic Awards Competition Application.